Newmont Suriname, LLC (previously known as Suriname Gold Company, LLC), a fully- owned subsidiary of Newmont Mining Corporation, operates the Merian mine on behalf of Suriname Gold Project CV, a Suriname limited partnership. Newmont Suriname is the managing partner, owning a 75 percent interest in the limited partnership, and Staatsolie Maatschappij Suriname N.V., Suriname’s State-owned oil company, the limited partner, owns the remaining 25 percent interest.

Construction of Merian commenced in August 2014, and commercial production was achieved on October 1, 2016, on schedule and US$150 million under budget.

Construction of Merian commenced in August 2014, and commercial production was achieved on October 1, 2016


Location: Northeastern Suriname, approx. 98 kilometers southeast of the capital city of Paramaribo; 60 kilometers south of Moengo
Estimated First Five-year
Annual Production: 400,000 to 500,000 (on a 100% basis)
Annual Gold Production: 385,000 attributable ounces
Start of Commercial Production: October 2016
Estimated Mine Life: 12-14 years
Ownership: Limited Partnership Newmont Suriname – 75% interest, managing partner
Product: Gold
Development Capital (only): $700M for Development Capital (100%)
Reserves: Gold reserves of approximately 4.2 million ounces (on a 75% basis, as of Dec. 31, 2016)
Mining Type: Open pit


Safety- We take care of our safety, health and wellness by recognizing, assessing and managing risk, and choosing safer behaviors at work and home to reach our goal of zero harm.

Integrity- We behave ethically and respect each other and the customs, cultures and laws wherever we operate.

Sustainability-We serve as a catalyst for local economic development through transparent and respectful stakeholder engagement and as responsible stewards of the environment.

Inclusion- We create an inclusive environment where employees have the opportunity to contribute, develop and work together to deliver our strategy.

Responsibility- We deliver on our commitments, demonstrate leadership and have the courage to speak up and challenge the status quo.